Pages

My battle with chronic lower back pain

For about 2 years now, I've been suffering from lower back pain. It all started off as an acute sensation in my back, most likely caused by my generally poor posture when doing things (especially sitting upright).

I never really did anything about it as I thought the pain would go away on its own. Today, my pain has developed into a full-blown, chronic problem. I've had to cut down on many activities, including scuba diving, which involves lifting lots of heavy stuff, especially tanks (I once hurt my back while hoisting myself out of the water and into the boat).

To fix my pain and scoliosis, I was told to do core exercises and use a back support pillow while sitting, 2 things I've never done before!
Last month, I got an x-ray done and unsurprisingly, was informed that I have mild scoliosis.

I'm now undergoing rehabilitation for both my pain and scoliosis, and aim to fully recover within this year so that I can begin scuba diving again.

Part of my rehab includes several core exercises for lower back pain, which aim to strengthen and improve the endurance of the muscles that support the back.

All the exercises I'm currently doing imposes safe amounts of pressure fon my spine (3,300 Newtons if my memory serves me well).

I was also told to avoid certain exercises which may worsen my condition, including standing toe touches and sit-ups. Luckily, I don't lift weights or else I would have to stop doing that as well, as my chiropractor explain that lifting weights over your head can compress your spine and hurt your back.

The other thing that my chiro suggested I do is use a back support pillow for driving because I spend loads of time in my car. My current commute from home to my office takes about an hour and a half each way (about 3 hours return).

Truth be told, I was one of those skeptical ones when it comes to these 'support pillows'. For some reason, they always seemed gimmicky. I used to always laugh and think to myself: who on earth would be seen using this?

I am happy to say, however, that today I am a convert. Everyone who sits for more than a couple of hours a day should be using these magical things!

I am currently saving up for a new regulator, so I only got one pillow for use in both my car and office. When I get my pay at the end of this month, I may very well invest in another one because they really feel comfortable. I might even write a review one of these days if time permits.

My next visit to the chiro is next week, so hopefully by then my condition will have improved a little. More updates when they come!